What Is Flooring?
Flooring is referred more to loose-laid materials on the finished structural surface. Some different flooring materials a floor covers include carpet, area rugs, and resilient floorings such as linoleum or vinyl flooring and wood flooring, laminated wood, laminate flooring, ceramic tile, stone, terrazzo, and various seamless chemical floor coatings are known as flooring material.
There are different types of flooring and Tiles available for your home flooring work, But the Choice of Flooring is a difficult task. Floor covering is a term used to describe finished material applied over a floor structure to provide a walking surface.
Method of Flooring
1. Base – Laying of a base coat of 100 mm thick in the ratio of cement concrete 1:8:16 ( 1 part of cement, 8 parts of fine sand and16 parts of the brickbat) or 1:4:8 on compacted earth under the floor. Base laying is almost the same for all types of flooring work.
2. Finishing- Then finishing off the floor is carried on, for different flooring materials.
In this article, we discuss various flooring options that are available for your perfect home and how to select
Best Flooring for House In India
The following are the Types of Flooring used,
1. Carpets and Rugs
Rug and carpet is decorative material normally made of a thick material and now usually intended as a floor covering. The use of ‘Carpets and rugs’ is more significant in Great Britain and in the United State.
The word rug is used for a partial floor covering as it is different from carpet, which is frequently used to spread down to the floor and usually covers it wall-to-wall. The Carpets are handmade, however, the names rug and carpet are used interchangeably.
Type of Carpets and Rugs
- Flatweave Rugs
- pile rugs & carpet
- yarns &fibers
- Mechanically produced carpets
Flat Weave Rugs
Flat Weave Rugs are made from animals (sheep, etc), plants (cotton), or synthetic materials. The original flat weaves Rugs available in the Market are Dhurrie and Kilim. The Dhurries Flat Rugs coming from India and Kilims Rugs coming primarily from China. The Flat Weave rug fiber is hand or machine woven around the warp backing material.
It used two basic threads i) The wrap ii) The weft
- Color changes are achieved by weaving the stripes.
- Uses of strong modern character, figures & floral pattern and pattern of geometric.
- Sizes:-120*80, 180*120 and 240*150 cm.
- Use in the area: hallways & playrooms.
Pile Rugs & Carpets
Pile is a common word found when searching rug e-commerce sites, but what does rug pile mean? Rug pile refers to tufts of yarn on a rug’s surface that is visible.
Also, we can say that the pile is the face of the rug. These piles can be cut or left in loops, thick or thin, soft or coarse.
Pile Rugs used three types of threads i) The wrap ii) The weft iii) The pile expressed in terms of knots per square centimeter of surface area i.e 4-8 knot to 36-50 knot. They are made and available in a traditional pattern.
Sizes:-120cm of rugs and 300 &350cm of carpets.
Mechanically Produced Carpet
Machine-knotted rugs are manufactured through hundreds of reels of thread are fed into one big mechanical loom, which quickly weaves the rug according to a chosen pattern.
During manufacturing can be possible for fixed widths, different patterns and sizes can be produced simultaneously, which means minimal material spillage once the machine is running.
- It is a combination of wool and synthetic fibers.
- Made in highest grade 80/20 wool/nylon blend.
- These carpets are used in directional movement area i.e the top & bottom of stairs and in flooring in offices.
- These carpets are available in plain & variegated colors
- Available Sizes:-50*50
2. Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl Flooring Tile (VCT) is a flooring material used mostly in commercial and institutional applications. These are the most durable flooring.
These Tiles manufactured by mixing colored vinyl chip, which is then shaped into solid sheets. The thicknesses may be varying by heat and pressure and cut into 12-inch squares.
These tiles are spread over to a smooth, leveled sub-floor using specially formulated vinyl
Sheet vinyl flooring comes in large, continuous, flexible sheets, and made up sheet floor is completely impermeable to water
This type of flooring is mostly used in house interior work and also photo laborites, airports, drugs. Room, bedroom, offices waterproof used in bathrooms.
Installing Vinyl Floor Tiles
Vinyl floor tiles are versatile in nature and available in the market in a different form. It feels warm underfoot, easy to clean like other hard surfaces. It is good around water easy in installing.
Materials Needed for Flooring the Job
Trowel, Tape measure, Vinyl tiles, Utility knife, Self-leveling compound Floor roller, Adhesive, Hammer, Chalk line
Step 1- Measure the Floor
Step 2- Prepare the Room
Step 3- Center the Tile
Step 4- Cut to Fit
Step 5- Finish Up
Vinyl Flooring Advantages
- One of the major advantages of vinyl flooring is that it is easy to install and cost-effective and durable as well.
- The maintenance cost and effort required to install are quite low.
- Vinyl flooring is water-resistant and provides great support to the feet.
- This type of flooring offers an attractive appearance.
- Vinyl flooring is quick to install and replace. you can change it when you so desire and without much difficulty
- With the wide range of variety available in the market today, you can choose any products.
3. Tiles Flooring
- Tiles are often used to form wall or floor coverings and can range from simple square tiles to complex mosaics. These are one the cheap flooring options for your perfect home.
- Tiles are manufactured from ceramic with a strong glaze finish, but other materials are also commonly used, such as glass, marble, granite, slate, and reformed ceramic slurry. There are various types of tiles discussed below.
Types of Flooring Tiles
- Ceramic Tile
- Vitrified tiles
- Porcelain Tile
1. Ceramic Tiles
- High wear resistance with low density.
- Corrosion resistance at high temperatures.
- Resistance to plastic deformation.
- Easy to clean and water-proof.
- Harder and stiffer than steel, more heat, and corrosion resistant than metals and polymers.
- Resistant to stains and spillages.
- Their incombustibility prevents the spread of fire.
Advantages of Ceramic Tiles
- Aesthetically far much better than any other flooring, as it is available in various shades and textures.
- Easy to maintain.
- Laying is easy and less time taking.
- These Tiles are available in various sizes thus no cutting required.
- Tiles are fire resistant.
Vitrified Tiles are ceramic tiles with a high % of vitrification and water absorption is less. Vitrification is a process of development of a glass phase inside the tile during the firing process. This is done by melting some constituents in the body. These are the best floor tiles available in the market.
Wood Flooring Types
The wood flooring is majorly used for special purpose floors example auditoriums, hospitals, etc., and nowadays house flooring is done with wooden flooring. For Aesthetic purposes, wood flooring is the best flooring. There are various wood flooring options and as discussed below.
Strip flooring: – In these types of flooring a narrow and thin strips of wood joined to each other by tongue and groove joint.
Planked flooring: – In planked flooring, the wider planks are used and these are also tongue and groove. they are the most durable wood flooring.
Heavy woodblock flooring:-
Heavy wood block flooring is made up of thicker pieces of woodcut in short lengths ranging from 5 to 10 cm. This form wooden block is set with the ends of the grains exposed.
Fabricated Wood Block
- These consist of Small Square of a rectangular block with tongue and groove joints all side.
- All are available in solid wood and in laminated wood, which is a thin veneer layer laminated to a layer of wood so that it can be sanded and refined several times.
- One of laminated wooden flooring is better suited to moisture prone area such as the kitchen.
- As we know that wood is a natural material, it expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity. Their proper installation leaves a margin for this movement.
The wooden flooring hardness can be comparable to marble and the former is available in up to 45 different colors and shades
- We must use a vacuum or sweep your wooden floor since small stone and gritty dirt will scratch your floor quickly.
- You must require mats or rugs in the doorways leading to a room with wooden flooring and these doormats should be cleaned regularly.
- This type of floor can be wiped with a dampened sponge. But, it requires immediately followed by wiping with a dry terry towel cloth.
- Second coat of surface finish should be applied to the wooden flooring when the cleaning the shine, or when the cleaning no longer restores the shine or when the floor has been heavily used.
- Excess water in wiping the floor can damages wood, so avoid wetting the floor.
The long exposure to the sun can cause the wooden floor to warp, or change color. So use appropriate sun-blocking drapery in the room with wooden flooring.
You Might Also Like
- What Is Resilient Flooring | Resilient Flooring Types | Resilient Floor CoveringsThe Standard Room Size & Location in Residential Building
- Marble Flooring | Top 10 Types of Marble Flooring
- What Is PVC Flooring | Types of PVC Flooring | PVC Tiles | Plastic Flooring | Advantages & Disadvantages of PVC Flooring
- Granite Flooring | Granite Flooring Types | Most Popular Granite Colors | Granite Finishes | How to Install Granite Flooring