“Building maintenance is a method to protect the building and the different components of the building so it gives its serviceability during its entire life span.”
The following is the building maintenance checklist,
- Routine cleaning of the home.
- Repairing of defective plaster.
- Repairing of cracks.
- Repairing the floor.
- Painting of walls.
- Painting of Door and Window.
- Cleaning of drainage and repairing of it.
- Anti-termite treatment.
- Repairing of water supply fittings.
- Change the old electrical equipment likes switchboard, switches, tube lights, wirings.
Defects in Building:
I. Defects in Plaster:-
Swelling of some portion of the plastering surface. When moisture is able to seep through the wall, it can push your plaster forward, causing a small bubble in the material known as blistering.
Small cracks are formed on the plastered surface. These cracks can be hairline cracks that are difficult to notice, or it can be wider cracks that are easily seen. The development of fine cracks is known as crazing.
The formation of cracks on the plastered surface can be caused by many reasons like thermal movements, discontinuity of surface, structural defects in the building, faulty workmanship, excessive shrinkage, etc.
Efflorescence is the formation of white patches of soluble salt formed on a plastered surface. This defect occurs on the plastered surface when soluble salts are present in plaster-making materials as well as building materials such as bricks, sand, cement, etc. Even water used in the construction work may contain soluble salts.
When a newly constructed wall dries out, the soluble salts are brought to the surface and they appear in the form of a whitish crystalline substance. Such a growth is referred to as efflorescence and it seriously affects the adhesion of paint with the wall surface.
Efflorescence can be a reason of bad appearance of wall and can be removed to some extent by dry-brushing and washing the surface repeatedly.
Flaking is the formation of a small loose mass on the plastered surface is known as flaking and it is mainly due to bond failure between successive coats of plaster.
Read More: Water Leaking From Ceiling Causes And Repair
Pilling defect occurs when the plaster from some portion of the surface comes off and a patch is formed. Pilling is formed mainly due to bond failure between successive.coats of plaster.
- Improve the quality of construction work.
- Use the class A bricks in the construction.
- Avoid the use of the salty water for the plastering.
- The efflorescence is removed from the brick before start the plastering work.
- The bricks are properly wet before the use in the construction of the wall.
- The curing of the plastering surface is properly done after the plastering completed.
II. Dampness in Building:
The main reason for the dampness is the water comes from the ground and the water comes from the outer surface in the form of rain etc.
Another reason is sometimes the workmanship is poor so the pot is created on the floor surface of the terrace, so the rainwater or the sprinkling water is stored on it and this water is penetrated in the slab and it causes the dampness in the ceiling of the house.
Defects of Dampness:-
- Due to the salt present in water, the white spots are created on the wall or terrace.
- The steel used in the construction, its corrosion starts.
- The decay of the wood, which is used in the windows and doors, cupboard, flooring, etc.
- Plastering work is defecting from it.
- Flooring marbles or the flooring tiles are damage from it.
- To protect the groundwater the DPC work is done with good quality concrete.
- To protect the groundwater the bitumen or asphalt is used at the plinth level.
- Hollow brick masonry is useful to protect the rainwater.
III. Termite Attack:
The termites are the biggest enemy of the wood. It decays the wood. So to protect the building or structure from the termite there are two steps:-
- Treatment of the soil present at the construction site
- Treatment of building after the construction
1. Treatment of the soil present at construction site:
- The soil is treatment is done with the help of the anti-termite chemicals that are present in the market.
- The chemical dissolves in the water and the spray on the soil at the plinth level.
2. Treatment of building after construction:
- Treatment of the floor in the house with the inject method.
- Spray the chemical on the wood.
- Apply the chemical at the doorframe.
Read More: 17 Tips For How To Reduce Construction Cost
VI. Leakage on Terrace:
- If the water is stored on the terrace than provide proper leveling.
- The waterproofing work do on the terrace floor.
- To repair the pipelines which is leakage.
Repairing of Flooring:-
- If some portion of the flooring work is damage then remove that portion properly than compaction properly. After the compaction applies the new layer of mortar and fit it again.
Importance of Building Maintenance:-
- Due to the weathering effect like rain, wind, dampness, the temperature the life span of the building is reduced. So maintenance is required.
- To provide good service during the entire life of the building, so maintenance work is required.
- Maintenance is required to protect the damage of the building by its daily uses.
- Provide strength to the weaker part of the building.
- To maintain the appearance of the building.
- To reduce the accidents in building due to defects.
Types of Maintenance:-
- Preventive maintenance
- Remedial maintenance
1. Preventive Maintenance:-
To reduce the deterioration of the building the steps are taken is known as the Preventive maintenance.
It further divided in to 4 types:-
- Routine maintenance
- Periodical maintenance
- Pre-monsoon maintenance
- Post-monsoon maintenance
1) Routine Maintenance:
The work under the routine maintenance is daily cleaning of the house.
2) Periodical Maintenance:
The maintenance done after some time like 1 month or 6 month or yearknown as the Periodical maintenance.
Examples:-Painting of house, painting of door window
3) Pre-monsoon Maintenance:
The maintenance done before the monsoon is come known as the Pre-monsoon maintenance.
- Repairing of outer surface of wall.
- Repairing of weather shed.
- Waterproofing of terrace floor.
4) Post-monsoon Maintenance:
The maintenance done after the monsoon known as the Post-monsoon maintenance.
In which repair the damage part of the building.
5) Remedial Maintenance:
The maintenance done after the component of the building is damage known as the Remedial maintenance.
- The anti-termite treatment.
- Repairing the leakage work.
- Repairing of plastering work.
- Repairing of flooring.
- Repairing of the woodwork.
You May Also Like: