Safety Measures at Construction Site involves precautionary measures to make the construction site workplace safe and try to reduce accidents.
Construction site safety has the main goal of creating work conditions such as the construction site as a whole is not the cause of immediate danger to the public around the construction site.
It assures the safety of workers at a construction site, as well as makes sure that the finished product of construction meets required safety standards.
General Facts about Construction Site Safety
- The first week of work on a new site is the most dangerous
- On-site accidents are more at the end of the day
- Small building construction works are riskier.
- The Safety boots Safety helmets and Hi-viz jackets do prevent injury and death
- Low-quality and lightweight shoes -such as trainers or runners are not suitable on-site.
Facts About Construction Accidents
The following are the facts about construction accidents,
- 56% of accidents are happened due to falls from height
- 21% of accidents are due to being trapped by something collapsing or overturning
- 10% of accidents are due to being struck by a moving vehicle
- 5% of accidents are because of contact with electricity or electrical discharge
- 4% of accidents likely are struck by a flying/falling object during machine lifting of materials
- 3% of accidents are due to contact with moving machinery or material being machined
- 1% of accidents are due to exposure to a hot or harmful substance.
Safety Measures In Construction Site
1) Safe Access on Site
- Assure that everyone can get to their place of work safely.
- Always keep edges from which people could fall are provided with double guard rails or other suitable edge protection
- Take care that the holes are protected with clearly marked and fixed covers to prevent falls
- Always keep Good lighting conditions during construction to ensure construction site safety.
- Insert a Fence around the site to restrict public movement on the construction sites.
2) Working at Height
Fall from height accidents are generally happening on construction sites due to holes in Floors, Gaps in Working Platforms, Shafts, and Stairwells not Adequately Covered Barricaded Fenced Off. It is important to arrange for construction site safety.
- Remember using scaffolding or ladders without proper fixing is crazy
- Never start working on incomplete scaffolding.
- Take care and keep watch there should be handrails and toe boards at all edges.
- Materials and different things may from height, therefore always use a helmet of good quality.
- Before starting work on height, always check clearance from the power transmission line.
3) Lethal Ladders
It is a proven fact that lethal ladders kill lots of people working on construction sites.
- Always make sure that the ladder selected for work is suitable cable.
- It should have good shape.
- It should be secured near the top.
- Always place ladders on a firm base or footings.
- The ladder should have extra length beyond the place of landing or it should have an extended handrail.
- Try to keep a strong grip and good balance on the ladder.
How to Maintain Construction site Safety on Ladders
- Assure that not more than one person uses a ladder.
- Always use tool belts or hand lines to carry objects.
- Never try to lean out from the ladder in any direction.
- If any labor have fear of height then allow him to climb a ladder.
- Never allow any activity under the ladder.
Read More: 15+ Types Of Drawings In Construction
4) Construction Site Safety on Roof
Always check the safety of the roof before it.
- There must be protection to stop workers from falling off the edge.
- Always wear safety harnesses and running cables when working on top of a roof.
Remember: a walk along a fragile roof, responsible for 50% of fatal injuries involving roofs are falling of fragile materials, 30% falls from edges and openings
5) Safety in Excavation Work
- Shored or Battered support must be provided for every excavation deeper than 1.25 meters must be
- Every excavation which is deeper than 2 meters must have a guard rail or barrier.
- Machines working too close to the edge of trench or rubble piled on the sides may cause collapse.
- To stop machines falling into trench use stone stop blocks.
- Daily inspect the excavation, its side, and depth.
- Always make an advance survey for any underground pipes and cables which will save any damage or accident during excavation.
Always remember there is no warning sign of collage of sides of trench, it will collapse without warning. this is how we can assure construction site safety.
6) Crane Safety
Following safety measures must be kept in mind while working on crane.
- Carefully estimate the weight of the load to be lifted.
- Make sure that the crane is fitted with an automatic safe load indicator (one that works)
- Always place a crane on a hard and level base.
- Take care that the load is properly fixed and secured.
- Crane operator guide must be proper knowledge of singling.
7) Construction Site Safety for Traffic Vehicles & Plant
- Always keep vehicles and pedestrians away from the site. Try to separate them as far as possible using barriers.
- Assure adequate clearance around slewing vehicles.
- Try to avoid any reversing where possible & use the one-way system.
- Construction machinery should have to reverse alarms/sirens.
- No extra passenger on the vehicle.
Read More: 9+ Construction Site Preparation Steps
7) Goods Hoist
- Always install and fix hoist by a competent person.
- Rated capacity of the hoist is clearly marked on it.
- Check the current calibration and examination certificate of the hoist.
- Make proper enclosure around the hoist to prevent people from being struck by moving part of hoist.
- Always keep the landing gates kept shut except when platform is at landing
- Give electricity prime importance and respect while working with it.
- Frequently inspect electrical cable to ensure that are not damaged or worn.
- Always keep training cable away from site and water contact.
- Restrict the use of overload or use makeshift plugs and fuses
9) Construction Site Safety While Working near Sewage
How infected on construction site
- Most commonly workers get infected by hand to hand contact and mouth to mouth contact (eating, drinking, smoking, wiping the face with contaminated gloves).
- People infected by Skin contact(cuts, scratches or wounds and some organisms enter the body through the eyes)
- Breathing(either as dust or mist)
How to protect yourself
- Realize the risk of health.
- Understand how you can get infected.
- Always wear protective clothing.
- Avoid sewage around you.
- Try to maintain good personal hygiene
- Keep clean all wounds & cover
- Remove and clean contaminated clothing
- Always clean equipment & boots etc on site
- If in doubt – consult your doctor
- Most construction sites require at least:
- Hard hat
- Safety Boots
- Hi-viz jacket
- Safety Glasses
Wear them always for your safety
Important Tips for Maintaining Construction Site Safety
- All accidents are preventable.
- No job is worth getting hurt for.
- Every job will be done safely.
- Incidents can be managed.
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility.
- Continuous improvement.
- Safety as a “way of life” for 24 hours/day
- Every person whether he is an engineer or work has the responsibility and accountability to identify eliminate or manage risks associated with their workplace.
You May Also Like: