WPC Board is a combination of wood fiber/wood flour and thermoplastics. WPC boards are can also be manufactured from plastic composites and inorganic fillers. For Making WPC board Wood materials and plastic composite is also used as a strong, high-quality coating option
In the modern time, due to the development in technology and investigation every day, unique materials are appearing in the construction industry, which is no exception. One of the elements in the construction industry is Wood Plastic Composite (WPC). It is an ecological material that is appearing as an alternative to natural wood and plywood.
As its word might be indicated, Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) is an element generated from a different blend of natural wood and plastic fibers, peanut hulls, pulp, bamboo, sawdust, and unusual woodworking materials, like bark, from a variety of projects, are mixed with plastic powder to create WPC.
What Is WPC Board?
its Full form is Wood Plastic Composite Board. WPC board is a more durable and safe material utilized for construction objectives. It is a combination of wood fiber/wood flour and thermoplastics. WPC boards are also created from inorganic fillers and plastic composites. Wood and plastic composite are similarly utilized as a strong, high–quality coating choice.
WPC (Wood Plastic Composite Boards) has 70% of virgin polymer, 15% of wood powder, and the remaining 15% additive-chemical.
WPC is utilized for decks, landscaping, floors, windows, fences, doors, rails, external or internal cladding, for the manufacture of door and window frames, for the construction of durable and designed structures, combining floor furniture, etc.
It is a composite material that includes a waste of wood fibers and thermoplastics. They are mixed to create a base material that has a thick consistency. Thus it is extruded and molded to the various shapes and sizes required.
WPC boards are an effective alternative for natural wood, as well as plywood. WPC Boards are the get over of the whole difficulty faced with plywood. WPC boards possess good internal strength, weight, and above all, and no plants or trees are cut in their creation.
WPC Board Size Available In Market:
It is accessible in a size of 2440 mm x 1220 mm (8 feet x 4 feet) with the thickness of the plates 5 mm (0.20 inch), 6 mm (0.24 inch), 7.5 mm (0.30 inch), 11 mm (0.43 inch), 12 mm (0.47 inch), 17 mm (0.67 inch) and 18 mm (0.71 inch).
Advantages Of WPC Boards:
The advantages of the WPC board are as follows;
- WPC boards are generally 100% termite-proof and waterproof. Which indicates they are a durable commodity. Many of the vendors offer a lifetime guarantee on the commodity when it gets to existing waterproof shades and termite-proof boards.
- WPC does not corrode and is highly protected from rot, decay, and marine borer attack. Though they do consume water into the wood fiber embedded in the element.
- WPC board does not need oiling, staining, and painting and it prevents utilizing potentially polluting preservative but if you need Duco paint or texture paint you can do it, only the thing is main you have to apply PVC primer on the board.
- You can cut at all designs on WPC boards with a CNC router. The finishing of the WPC jali (grill) is better than MDF and tougher also.
- As per necessity and desire, It can be molded into various shapes and sizes. Due to this, it can be utilized for creating designer doors and windows which will provide you a creative look and fine polishing.
- It is a polymer-based commodity it is self-extinguishing and does not ignite the fire when in touch with a fire source.
- WPC Board is a fire retardant material. It does not allow the fire to get circulate it does not burn with fire. Whereas plywood helps the fire to circulate because it burns with fire. So WPC is a decent option when you select a panel for a fire-prone area.
- Eco-Friendly – They are unrestricted of methanol, urea, formaldehyde, lead, and additional hazardous chemicals. This dangerous volatile chemical enters the human body through contact and inhalation and causes serious health-related difficulty.
- Particularly in children and the elder community. WPC is 100% VOC free and similarly, it does not emit formaldehyde in the environment.
- No trees are cut in their making, which indicates they are environment-friendly commodities leading to a green revolution. It is produced with rice husk and wheat husk and virgin thermoplastics.
- It is composed of recycled plastic and waste wood hence it is an endurable and green material. It entered with guaranteed quality which contains the foaming agents, modifier, stabilizers, and various ingredients that are mixed in a specific and strict ratio.
- Pasting of WPC board With Veneer or laminate can be done with the use of FevicolHeatx adhesive. The surface should be rubbed with 80 number sandpaper for sufficient bonding. To provide additional thicknesses 2 WPC boards can be jointed with the help of cement or PVC solvent
- All varieties of screws and nails can be smoothly nailed with the use of a conventional tool. WPC boards have a decent screw and nail holding capability than plywood. Even you can screw and unscrew at a similar position greater than 10 times. It does not get loose.
- It will not rot, crack, warp as additional timber utilized for interior and furniture making. You can utilize WPC boards in sunlight, it does not get spoiled in the sunshine. You have to only paint or polish it after specific periods and it will remain modern and strong for years. You can utilize weather coat paint and PO polish on the WPC board. Similarly, it is a maintenance-free element.
WPC Board Disadvantages:
The disadvantages of WPC board are as follows;
- The resistance of WPC to the greatest temperature is low as compared to wood. If you lay kitchen utensils directly on WPC boards it will result in a melting impression if the temperature is greater than 70°C.
- The laser cutter cannot be utilized on WPC boards as it will burn the boards.
- It comprises a plastic polymer and wood fibers so the shortcoming of both this element will be existing in it.
- Its cost is high with respect to the other materials used for the same purpose.
- It lacks the natural wooden texture due to which the impression of natural wood is losing.
- The primary cost is high. The purchase expenses of WPC decks are greater than wood but conserve on maintenance expenses later, and the overall cost is not too high after the long-term use.
- WPC decks are not 100% natural wood.
- WPC board is composed of wood fibers and plastics but still has a natural wood grain imitation impact.
- WPC board is not completely maintenance-free.
- The WPC deck still requires regularly remove leaves and additional debris and wash them with soap and water.
- WPC board is heavier than wood compared to wood materials, composite materials of a similar size are extensively heavier.
WPC Board Applications & Uses:
Following are the Uses and Applications Of WPC;
1. Outdoor Decks:
It is highly utilized in outdoor decks and patios. The manufacturers of WPC give several decking choices such as solid decking, hollow decking, mosaic decking, and many more.
As the material is safe and strong; they are widely utilized for the preparation of fences for gardens and different outdoor fencing purposes.
This material is relatively long-lasting and as it is available in a bigger size, this enables the usage of this material in indoor as well as outdoor paneling.
4. Interior Areas:
WPC boards are too utilized in the interior areas for creating different furniture items such as wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, interior partitions, bathroom vanities, and similarly in the ceiling of the room.
5. Other Applications:
WPC boards can be utilized in interior applications, exterior applications, and for advertisement.
In interior application, WPC boards can be utilized in modular kitchen, house & office furniture, wall paneling, ceiling remedy, wardrobes, industrial compartment, control cabinets and panels, bathroom cabinets, window, and doors frame, and railing.
In exterior applications, WPC boards can be utilized in constructions/ shuttering boards, exterior wall cladding, garden furniture, park benches and fencing, prefabrication house, different exterior applications, outdoor deck flooring.
For advertising, WPC boards can be utilized in signboards, display boards, direct digital printing, exhibition stands, and graphics.
Features WPC Board (Wood Plastic Composite):
Wood–plastic composite is another type of building material prepared from blends of thermoplastic and wood fiber to generate durable and strong material. It is a flexible material that can be utilized for a wide range of objectives such as doors, windows, fences, decking, and flooring. Here are some benefits of the WPC board;
1. Multiple Application:
WPC sheets are utilized as planks and tiles on gardens, exterior claddings, building facades, outward children’s sports equipment, etc. It is customized with desired printing and texture. Its lightweight, durability, the comfort of application, and maintenance create it desirable over traditional wood.
It is greatly utilized on terraces and balconies due to its lighter weight. It is independent of splintering and warping due to exposure to moisture. The non-corrosive, antibacterial, and reliable nature renders its application profound in bathrooms, kitchens, wall claddings, and false ceilings.
2. Retards Fire:
The wood plastic composite (WPC) is not completely fire resistant but it hinders it from circulating. Plastics possess great calefaction and can melt easily creating them a fire hazard.
To neutralize this nature of plastic wood is existing in the composite. Thus, increasing the amount of wood fiber in the wood plastic composite enhances the performance against a fire.
3. Similar Carpentry As That Of Wood:
Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) can be cut simply like wood. The tools utilized for wooden carpentry similar application here. Cutting, nailing, drilling, and sand finishing, all operations are feasible on WPC simply like wood.
The capacity to blend thermoplastic and wood fiber creates it highly water-resistant. It will be desirable for outdoor objectives such as decking and fencing. It is extremely utilized as a construction material and also utilized for creating chairs and tables.
5. Low-maintenance And Higher Life Span:
The material is extremely durable can able to resist any hazardous weather conditions with minor maintenance care. It similarly bug resistance perfectly suited for outward decking. Its appearance lasts longer as same as the recent one, thus decrease the maintenance work.
It has a longer life period distinguished from timber woods. can alter to any kind of weather conditions like summer, winter, and rainfall. Its longer life period created it adequate for outdoor decking and fencing.
WPC Board Price:
WPC board are available in standard size of 8 feet x 4 feet (2440 mm x 1220 mm) with various thinness like 5 mm, 6 mm, 7.5mm, 11mm and many more as per requirement different size of WPC board.
WPC board price in India given bewlow,
|Plastic||Rs 70/Square Feet||Rs 180/Square Feet|
|Wood||Rs 42/Square Feet||Rs 123/Square Feet|
Why WPC Board Is Comfortable For Interior Designing?
The modern Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) boards and flooring material proposal several new and different advantages over the old materials that were utilized for interior designing projects earlier. The WPC boards can be treated with colorants and hence they can assume various attractive designs that are wonderful for the eyes as well. Here are some of the particular safety-related advantages that simply the pleasing WPC board and Interior designing products can give.
1. Excellent Water Resistance:
Various interior designing projects require boards, floorings, and additional products that have excellent water resistance. A WPC board can beat all its counterparts in this concern as it can give outstanding resistance to moisture.
This is because of its inherent micro composition and system. The WPC Interior designing commodities utilized in a toilet, bathroom, kitchen, and different residential areas can fulfill their purpose for a long time duration while preserving the wonderful aesthetic appeal.
2. Best Value For Money:
Customers today wish for decent value for the money they expend. WPC boards give for the uplifting of looks and impart considerable security and usefulness to the structure, while also possessing a long life.
A WPC foam board does not warp, splinter, or fade and similarly does not need any staining and painting. These are hence often desirable over wood and benefit towards reducing the instances of accidents as well.
Over a time of four years, the initially costly WPC boards begin to be more affordable. With time they can give satisfactory value for money, and a time–efficient interior designing solution.
3. No Fading For Decades:
The WPC boards are managed with high-quality and high-impact UV inhibition pigments. Thus they can resist sunlight rays and different adverse agents for a huge period. The reliable boards may not fade for up to 25 years or almost additional.
Interior designers glance for solutions that conserve their color and shape for a long duration so that the results obtain high quality and are there to be appreciated for long–duration intervals. WPC boards are the decent solutions that can give the greatest anti–weathering advantages.
4. Fire Retardant Properties:
As the WPC boards contain both plastics and wood powder, they can resist fire for an extensively longer period interval. They can be accordingly preferred over wood, plywood, and different kinds of interior designing commodities at any instance.
The WPC boards, floorings, and decking solutions have verified their worth over a duration of time. They are durable, safe, and highly comfortable solutions for various kinds of interior designing projects, as they have a better desired inherent built and composition.
Q.1 What is a WPC board?
WPC Board is a composite material formed by the waste of wood fibers and its mixing with thermoplastics. It is a consistent combination also created from inorganic fillers and plastic composites.
Q.2 Which is better MDF or WPC?
Considering the components with which these materials are made MDF proves to be more harmful as it is composed of harmful chemicals Which can be hazardous to health on the other side WPC is non-hazardous to health. Hence WPC is beneficial from a health perspective.
You Might Also Like:
- What is Gypsum Board & Its Application in Construction
- What Is MDF Board? Its Uses, Properties, Pros & Cons
- What Is Louvered Doors & Its 10 Types With Pros and Cons
- What is Gypsum Plaster- Types, Use, Pros & Cons