Vastu Shastra is an ancient Indian science that focuses on creating harmonious living spaces that promote health, wealth, and happiness. Vastu tips for home can help you create a positive and peaceful living environment by harmonizing the energy flow within your home.
By following these vastu shastra tips for home, you can attract positive vibrations and achieve a sense of balance and harmony in your living space. Whether you’re looking to enhance the energy flow in your living room, create a calm and peaceful bedroom, or increase prosperity and abundance in your kitchen, there are Vastu tips that can help you achieve your goals.
In this article, we will explore some essential Vastu tips for different areas of your home that can help you transform your living space and bring more happiness, health, and prosperity into your life.
Following are the different rooms in house for that we discuss vastu tips for home planning,
- Main entrance
- Living room
- Dining room
- Study room
- Puja room
Lets see one by one vastu tips for home construction.
Vastu Tips for Home
The following are the Vastu tips for home,
1. Vastu for Main Entrance
- Northeast: Brings in the morning sunlight, fresh air; thus enhancing positive energy into the house
Vastu tips for home, While moving out of the house, one should face
Green: The existence of green colour is a necessity if the house is north facing
Combine it with other lighter colours to boost the appearance of the entrance to the home
- The level of the main door should be higher as compared to its surrounding ground level.
- The entrance should be located at least a feet away from any corner.
- The doorway should be well lit.
- The main door should be double-shuttered.
- The door should be made of superior quality.
- The door should not be painted black.
- Dustbin or shoe rack should not be placed outside of the door.
- The opening of the door should be in a clockwise direction.
- It should always open inwards.
- The main entrance door should not produce any type of noise during the opening/closing operation.
Teak is the best choice of material for the entrance door.
2. Vastu for Bed Room
Vastu tips for Bed Room Planning,
- North: Ideal direction for young couples
- East: Most suitable direction for young children
- South/Southwest: Ideal for Master bedroom
- It is to be occupied by the head of the family
- It is kept larger than other rooms
- Located on the top floor for a multi-storeyed home.
- West: it is best suitable for students
- Northwest: suitable choice for newlywed couples
It is to be located in the west/north of the bedroom
Its door is always kept closed
Light shades of
- Chocolate: Gives stability and balances masculinity and feminity
- Blue: indicates masculinity, offers relaxation
- Rose: indicates feminity
- Green: Best suited for children’s bedrooms, as it helps in increasing concentration time for children
A combination of two or three colors from the above-mentioned ones helps in providing a complete balance and creating a relaxing atmosphere.
It should not be kept in the bedroom since it brings frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between the occupants.
If unavoidable, then hang it on the north/east walls.
If hung on the bedroom walls, ensure no part of the body is reflected through it while sleeping; it leads to the development of medical problems.
Sleeping with legs facing the –
- Brings deep sleep
- Ensures long life of the occupant
West direction: Brings enlightenment to the occupant
East direction: Brings name, reputation and wealth to the occupant
South direction: Never sleep in this position. It annuls sound sleep and induces negativity in the mind of the occupant
This is the direction of Yama (God of Death) and Sleeping in this position may lead to shortening of life span.
Whilst sleeping, ensure there is no window behind the person occupying the bed.
- Do not place laptops, routers, etc. in the bedroom.
- A pleasant and beautiful painting can be hung on the wall; as it can lighten up your mood, as it is the first thing you can see as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- The door of the bedroom should possess a single shutter and should not make any noise during its opening/closing operation.
- The bed should not be placed in alignment to the corners
3. Living Room
Vastu tips for living room planning
It should face,
- East(not in South facing house)
- North – reaps lots of benefits, like inculcating wealth and health for the residents
- Northeast- God resides in this corner, and one of the most ideal location
- White: It is the best choice for the living room emitting calmness and serendipity.
A bit of the following colours can be mixed up to make the living room more welcoming, as mono-color may make the living room look dull-
- Light yellow
- Heavy furniture should be placed in the west/southwest of the living room
- Electronics & other such appliances should be placed in the southeast direction
- The mirror can be hung in the north direction
- Prefer square/rectangular furniture
- A chandelier can be hung in the south/west of the living area; and NOT in the center.
- Avoid placing artificial/dried flowers in the living room, as they are supposed to spread a negative influence on the people sitting in the living room.
- Dried flowers bring misfortune
- Similarly, cactus should also be avoided, as it is harmful to a financial career.
- A fish aquarium – in the east, north, or northeast of the living room harvests many benefits for the occupants.
- Placing an aquarium in the South can draw away all the positive energy from the house
4. Vatu for Kitchen
Vastu tips for kitchen planning,
- Cooking gas should be so placed that whilst cooking, the person faces east
- Larger windows should be allowed to face east
- Small ventilators can be kept facing south
- Water sinks should be placed facing northeast with a maximum distance from gas stove
- The cylinder should be placed facing the southeast direction
- The refrigerator should be kept in a southeast or northwest direction
- Light chocolate
The red color represents the Fire element. Therefore, the presence of red color in the kitchen is a must – like a strip of red or something else.
- The kitchen door should not face the toilet door
- The toilet should not be allowed to be placed above/below or adjoining the kitchen
Read More: Types Of Kitchen Layout With Pros & Cons
5. Store Room
Vastu tips for store room planning,
- Northwest side
- Southeast: oil and liquid food storage
- East: large windows
- West: smaller windows
- No empty containers should be left in the storeroom
- It is desirable to raise the floor level of the storeroom
6. Dining Room
Vastu tips for dining room planning,
The dining room should be so furnished that the occupants face the following direction while eating –
- West: Best place for dining
The following colours are best suited for a dining room –
- The dining area should be built on the same floor level as the kitchen
- The dining table should not be allowed to fold on any wall
- The dining table should not be placed directly under any beam
- Wallpapers arousing hunger can be hung on the wall to enhance the appetite
- Concentration should be paid to food while eating, and one should be relaxed and stress-free.
- Avoid using digital equipment while eating
7. Study Room
Vastu tips for study room planning,
Light and subtle colours should be used so that it can radiate peace into the minds of occupants.
- The study table should not be placed beneath a beam
- Ample light should befall on the study table
- Do not face a wall or window while studying; it blocks new ideas from surfacing. Moreover, a wall at the back indicates support to the person sitting to study.
- A bookshelf should never be placed over a study table.
- The computer can be placed in the Southeast corner.
- Avoid stacking up of useless clutter on the study table.
8. Pooja Room
Following are Vastu tips for home pooja room planning,
- Northeast: Best location for pooja room
- Light yellow
- Light green
- Light blue
Avoid usage of Dark colours-
White/yellow colored Marble work upsurges the auspiciousness of the pooja room
- Pooja room should be located on the ground floor.
- Make sure to have a threshold at the entrance of the pooja room.
- Idols should be placed either east or west of the pooja room.
- Idols should not be facing south direction.
- Two shutter doors can be used for the pooja room.
- Photos of animals or birds should not be hung in the pooja room.
Read More: What Color Light Helps You Sleep Well
Vastu tips for bathroom planning,
- Construct toilet 1-2 feet above ground level
- The slope should be provided towards the east/north
- Entrance to the toilet can be provided on the east/north wall
- The entrance width can be reduced as compared to that of the other door openings of the house
- The ventilator can be provided on the east/west/north wall
- Water tanks or taps should not be located in the southwest or southeast
Scientific Facts of Vastu Location of Rooms
1. Main Entrance
The level of the main door should be higher as compared to its surrounding ground level. This can help in preventing water flow towards the house in monsoon. Hence, the plinth level of the house is always kept higher than the surrounding ground level
Not only this, if the house is kept at a similar level as that of the ground level, then the moisture from the surrounding soil will seep in the plinth of the building. This water starts weakening the structural elements of the building either in the foundation or in the superstructure.
The entrance should be located at least a foot away from any corner. Most of the time, columns are located in the corners. In addition to this, for structural stability from an earthquake resistance point of view, the portion near the walls is quite critical.
During the earthquake, the corner portion provided stability to the structure.
During the earthquake, large inertia forces are developed at the roof level. These forces are transferred to the ground via walls. Any two opposite walls exert pull or push forces on adjacent walls. And these adjacent walls should be strong enough to resist these forces. The direction could be reversed with the change in seismic forces.
The force transfer in between walls occurs at the junction of the walls. Therefore, the walls should have strong interlocking with each other; which is reduced if an opening for a door/window is provided at the corner.
It should always open inwards:
You would not want to hit the door on the face of the person standing right outside your door!!
The wind blows from the southwest during the summer and monsoon seasons. While the direction reverses in winter. Hence, if the bedroom is located in the southwest, then the occupant may be able to enjoy the cool air during summer and avoid the wind in the winter. This can make a house energy-efficient.
3. Living Room
In Vastu’s tips for home, The living room is a place that is occupied in the morning by the members of the house. Therefore, by locating it in the east or north, one can ensure the morning sunrays enter the room. This can elevate the energy levels of the people.
East facing living room will get direct sunlight while the north-facing living room will get diffused light.
Prefer square/rectangular furniture:
It can be easily aligned along the walls. Besides, one can make effective use of the space as compared to other shapes such as circular or oval.
East is the aptest direction to allocate for the kitchen.
As the sun rises through the east, the morning sun helps to remove dampness from the kitchen. This preserves the food materials stored in the kitchen. As early in the morning, the kitchen is being put into use for making breakfast, natural lighting in the morning is desirable
The toilet should not be allowed to be placed above/below or adjoining the kitchen,
- It spreads a foul smell
- Because of the continuous flow of water, dampness is induced in the kitchen, which may result in the rotting of the eatables kept in the kitchen.
5. Store Room
As the north direction does not face the sun’s path, it gets uniform diffused light. The store is the place for storing grains throughout the year. Hence, it should be dark and cool. It is desirable to raise the floor level of the storeroom,
The intrusion of water can spoil an entire lot of grains. To ensure no water reaches this room, even by mistake, the floor level of the store is raised as compared to other rooms.
6. Dining Room
The dining table should not be allowed to fold on any wall. If the dining table folds into the wall, the movement of the chair is rendered difficult.
7. Study Room
The study is the room for reading, hence ample lighting is a must. So, the room is kept in the east; but the north is preferred over the east.
Sunrises in the east, which makes the room face east have direct sun rays that also produce a glaring effect, and make the occupant uncomfortable. On the other hand, as the sun sets in the west, after midday, the room starts facing a deficiency of light.
The North facing room excludes both the above issues. It has diffused light without any glare throughout the day. A bookshelf should never be placed over a study table. It hinders accessing various things on the study table. There is also a possibility of being hit by the shelf if proper attention is not paid. Avoid stacking up useless clutter on the study table.
By keeping a lot of clusters in the visible field, the human mind tends to lose its productivity. It is a proven fact that a cluster invites laziness and makes the person procrastinate the work. Hence, many authors have advised keeping the room clutter-free to increase productivity. These Vastu tips for home planning have a scientific base that make these rules more trustworthy.
Vastu Shastra Direction For Each Room In House
|Room||Ideal Direction as per Vastu Guidelines|
|Living Room||North, Northeast, or East for a positive and vibrant atmosphere. Avoid South or Southwest.|
|Bedroom||South, Southwest, or West for better sleep and relaxation. Avoid Northeast or Northwest.|
|Kitchen||Southeast, Northwest, or West to enhance positive energy. Avoid Northeast or Southwest.|
|Bathroom||Northwest or West with proper drainage. Avoid Northeast or Southwest.|
|Dining Room||West or East for a harmonious dining experience. Avoid South or Southwest.|
|Study Room||East, North, or Northeast for improved concentration. Avoid South or Southwest.|
|Pooja Room||Northeast is considered auspicious for a prayer or meditation space. Avoid South or Southwest.|
|Children’s Room||West, East, or North for a conducive and positive environment. Avoid South or Southwest.|
|Home Office||North, East, or Northeast for enhanced focus and productivity. Avoid South or Southwest.|
You May Also Like