Concrete is a multipurpose, long-lasting, environmentally friendly, and inexpensive material as well as a globally recognized construction material. To produce better quality concrete, the components of concrete must be calculated properly and completely which is possible by adopting the accurate method of Batching of Concrete.
Concrete is made up of three basic components: water, aggregate (rock, sand, or gravel), and cement. cement usually in powder form, acts as a binding agent when mixed with water and Aggregates this Combination or concrete mix, will be poured and harden water into the durable material with which we are all familiar.
What Is Batching of Concrete?
Batching of Concrete stands for the method of estimating and mixing the required concrete ingredients with both weight or volume according to the mix design and transplanting them into the mix to create a consistent quality of concrete.
Batching of Concrete is usually done with volume. Precision is very important in batching. It is better to do weight batching instead of volume batching. Before making a concrete mixture, the concrete material must be properly and accurately batched or proportioned to achieve the excellent quality of the concrete.
Batching of Concrete helps improve the practicality of concrete to achieve a smooth surface of concrete and increase the speed of construction and reduce the wastage of concrete components. Thus, batch making of concrete components is an essential process when making concrete
Types of Batching of Concrete:
Following the Three type of batching of concrete:
1. Random volumetric batching
2. volumetric batching
3. Weigh batching of concrete
1. Random Volumetric Batching of Concrete:
Devoid of any control over the size and shape of the applied containers causing major disturbances and deviations numbers. This method is completely unscientific, unsophisticated, and should not be recommended even for a small project.
2. Proper Volumetric Batching of Concrete:
Volume batching of concrete is accomplished with the use of a measurement box, locally named “farma or gauge”. Concrete components such as aggregates (Karachi + sand) and cement are calculated with farms or gauge boxes and proper precaution must be taken to ensure that the form of gauge box is excessively filled. To calculate the amount of water, a water meter should be used when there is a certain amount of water cans or uses.
3. Weigh Batching of Concrete (Batching of Concrete By Weight):
Weigh Batching of Concrete is accomplished by using a batch of wet batch or weighting system. On large projects, automated batching plants are set up to facilitate the optimization of quality and uniformity.
Water is a very important material and therefore, maximum water should be used for batching. If the amount of water is small, the performance of the concrete will be interrupted while the surplus water will reduce the strength of the concrete. Water must be fully calculated in litres.
Various Factors Affecting the Choice of Batching system are:
Following factor affecting the choice of batching system:
- Job size: Choice of method of batching of concrete depends on how to big is the work to be done with the method of batching.
- Concrete production rate: It depends on the required concrete production rate per house or day.
- Accuracy of weight measurement and based on standard batching performance
- Weighing batches operate electronically or mechanically.
- Nowadays the electronic weight batches are more trending than mechanical weight batches, but some plants still use mechanical weight batches to serve as backups for electronic weight batches.
- Mechanical weight batches have dial-type scales that use a spring to measure the weight of concrete components. Electronic weight batches have electronic scales that are suspended by load cells that convert force into a measurable electrical quantity. The load cell is supported by the hoppers, tanks, or other vessels that convert the stress to an electrical signal. Electronic scales measure accurately and often do not require repair.
- Electronic weighing batches are available in various types. Depending on the type of batch plant, weight batches should be used i.e., high-silo, low-profile, or underground batch plant. The batches may be stationary individuals that are not moving while weighing, or they may be non-stationary batches that weigh as transport materials.
Types of Concrete Batching Plants:
Following the types of concrete batching plants:
- Manual Weight Batching.
- Semi-Automatic Weigh Batching.
- Fully Automatic Weigh Batching.
1. Manual Weigh Batching:
In manual batching, all solid ingredients are weighed manually. Manual weight batching systems can be used for the small jobs.
2. Semi-Automatic Weigh Batching:
In semi-automatic weight batching, aggregate bin gates are opened by manually operated switches and the gates are automatically closed when the material has been delivered.
3. Fully Automatic Weigh Batching:
It is an automated tool for batching concrete materials, requiring qualified and experienced engineers. These systems have automated microprocessor-controlled batching systems. Not only are the aggregates batch in the correct proportions, but their moisture is also measured automatically and necessary corrective action must be taken so that the mixture has the desired stability
FAQs: Batching of Concrete Methods
Q.1 What Is the Concrete?
Concrete is Made up of Three Basic Components: Water, Aggregate (Rock, Sand, or Gravel) and Cement. Cement usually in Powder form, acts as a binding agent When Mixed With Water and aggregates this combination or concrete mix , Will Be Poured And Harden Water Into the Durable Material With Which We Are all Familiar.
Q. 2 What Is type of Batching of Concrete?
1. Random volumetric batching
2. volumetric batching
3. Weight batching of concrete
Q. 3 What Is the Random Volume Batching?
Devoid of any control over the size and shape of the applied containers causing major disturbances and deviations numbers. This method is completely unscientific, unsophisticated and should not be recommended even for a small project.
Q. 4 Which factors affecting the choice of batching system?
1. Job size
2. Concrete production rate
3. Accuracy of weight measurement and based on standard batching performance
You May Also Like:
- Pervious Concrete – Its Application & Advantages
- Concrete Countertops Pros and Cons
- Site Mix Concrete Vs Ready Mix Concrete – Which is Better
- What is Air-Entraining Admixture and Its Effect on Concrete