The Civil Engineering Basic Knowledge and civil engineering tips for civil engineers. The civil engineer has to perform many activities at the construction site and there are certain words that are repetitive in nature.
So, some Important points for civil engineers which a civil engineer should remember for faster calculations as well as quick solutions to construction site problems.
Civil Engineering Basic Knowledge
Following are some important points to remember for civil site engineers to make the construction work easier while maintaining a quality of construction;
- Lapping in reinforcement is not allowed for the bars having diameters more than 36 mm.
- Steel Char maximum spacing is 1.00 m (or) 1 No per 1m2.
- In steel dowels, a rod minimum of 12 mm diameter should be used.
- Steel Chairs minimum of 12 mm diameter bars to be used.
- Longitudinal reinforcement should not less than 0.8% and more than 6% of gross C/S.
- The minimum bars used for a square column are 4 No’s and 6 No’s for the circular column.
- Main bars used in the slabs shall not be less than 8 mm (HYSD) or 10 mm (Plain bars) and the distributors not less than 8 mm and not more than 1/8 of slab thickness.
- The minimum thickness of the slab should be 125 mm.
Civil Engineering Tips for Civil Engineers
- Freefall of concrete is allowed maximum to 1.50m height.
- Lap slices shall not be used for bar larger than 36 mm.
- Water absorption of bricks limited not more than 15 %.
- PH value of the water used should not be less than 6.
- The minimum Compressive strength of Bricks is 3.5 N / mm2.
- Binding wire required in steel reinforcement is 8 kg per Metric tonne.
- For soil filling work as per IS code, 3 samples should be taken for core cutting test for every 100m2.
Density of Construction Materials
- Bricks – 1600 – 1920 kg/m3
- Concrete block – 1920 kg/ m3
- Reinforce Concrete – 2310 – 2700 kg/ m3
Curing Time for Concrete Members for Various Type of Cement
- Super Sulphate cement: 7 days
- Ordinary Portland cement OPC: 10 days
- Minerals & Admixture added cement: 14 days
De-Shuttering Period of Different RCC Members
1)The period for columns, walls, vertical formworks – 16-24 hrs.
2) period for Soffit formwork to slabs – 3 days (props to be refixed after removal)
3) The period for Soffit to beams props – 7 days (props to refixed after removal)
4) Beams spanning up to 4.5m – 7 days
5) Beams spanning over 4.5m – 14 days
6) Arches spanning up to 6m – 14 days
7) Arches spanning over 6m – 21 days
Minimum Nos. Of Concrete Cube Sample for Given Volume of Concrete
- 1 – 5 m3 = 1 Nos.
- 6 – 15 m3 = 2 Nos.
- 16 – 30 m3 = 3 Nos.
- 31 – 50 m3 = 4 Nos.
- Above 50 m3 = 4 + 1 Nos.
What are the basic things a civil engineer should know?
BASIC THINGS FOR CIVIL ENGINEER:
1. Lapping in reinforcement is not allowed for the bars having diameters more than 36 mm.
2. Steel Char maximum spacing is 1.00 m (or) 1 No per 1m2.
3. In steel dowels, a rod minimum of 12 mm diameter should be used.
4. Steel Chairs minimum of 12 mm diameter bars to be used.
5. Longitudinal reinforcement should not less than 0.8% and more than 6% of gross C/S.
6. The minimum bars used for a square column are 4 No’s and 6 No’s for the circular column.
What a site engineer should know?
Following are the points Civil Engineer should know:
1. The freefall of concrete is allowed a maximum of 1.50m in height.
2. Lap slices shall not be used for bars larger than 36 mm.
3. Water absorption of bricks limited to not more than 15 %.
4. PH value of the water used should not be less than 6.
5. The minimum Compressive strength of Bricks is 3.5 N / mm2.
6. The binding wire required in steel reinforcement is 8 kg per Metric tonne.
What are the 5 major facets of civil engineering?
5 Major Facets of Civil Engineering:
2. Construction and Management
Who is the Father of Civil Engineer?
John Smeaton (8 June 1724 – 28 October 1792) was a British Civil Engineer back in the 18th century and has since come to be known as the Father of Civil Engineering. His designs of ridges, canals, lighthouses, harbours and mills were a great milestone in Civil Engineering. His some works can be found across the UK.
You Might Also Like: