A building estimate is an approximation of the cost of a construction project, calculated by estimating the quantities and costs of materials, labor, equipment, and other expenses required for the project.
Building estimates are typically created before construction begins, and are used by contractors, architects, and building owners to determine the feasibility of a project and to plan for the financial resources needed to complete it.
The process of creating a building estimate involves analyzing the project plans, specifications, and other relevant information to determine the number of materials and labor required, as well as the cost of equipment and other expenses.
The estimate may also include contingency amounts to cover unexpected costs or changes to the project scope.
Building estimates can be presented in a variety of formats, from detailed itemized lists to summary reports.
The level of detail included in the estimate will depend on the needs of the project and the level of accuracy required.
Accurate building estimates are important for ensuring that projects are completed within budget and on time, and can help to prevent costly delays or unexpected expenses.
They are also used by building owners to compare bids from contractors and to negotiate contracts with suppliers and subcontractors.
Detailed Estimation of Building with Plan pdf
The following steps are to be followed to do an estimation of the building with a plan,
Data Required Preparing Estimate
- Plan, Elevation & section.
- Schedule the opening of doors and windows.
- Foundation drawing.
- Column & Beam drawings.
Read More: Building Estimation Excel Sheet Free Download
Estimation of Building
The following is the estimation and costing of the building sample pdf
1. Interpretation of Drawing
Estimation of a Building with Plan
Before you directly start calculating quantity, you must precisely and correctly read the construction drawing.
- Check the dimension of each block is provided or not.
- The check Schedule of the opening is there.
- Check the specification of work.
- Check if the thickness of the wall is the same or changes.
- Check the rise and tread dimensions of the stair.
- Check the type of foundation and its details drawing.
2. Prepare an Estimation Sheet
The following is a sample sheet for preparing the estimate.
While taking length, width, and depth/ height dimensions remember that not all dimensions are given in the drawing. Some dimensions you need to calculate from the drawing also.
3. Calculating Quantity
For example, the first quantity of the estimation sheet is an excavation in the foundation. To find out the dimension of length, width, and depth of excavation from the drawing.
Estimation of a Building with Plan pdf
Keep in Mind
- Excavation depth is calculated from ground level to the bottom of PCC work.
- The size of the trench is larger than the size of the footing to provide ease for workers.
Here, the size of the footing is 1 m x 1 m. So, consider 0.25 m extra margins on both sides of the trench.
Length will be = 0.25 + 1 + 0.25 = 1.5 m, and Size becomes 1.5 m x 1.5 m. Depth is given 1.5 m from ground level.
Now, find the number of Footing in the building = 12 nos. Putting all values in the Estimation sheet multiple by each other will give you the quantity of excavation.
In a similar way, you can calculate other quantities like PCC, Footing Concrete; Earth filling, Plinth beam concrete, DPC, Brick Work in Superstructure, RCC Slab Concrete, etc.
Read More: Steel Quantity Calculation Excel Sheet
In conclusion, a building estimate is a crucial component of any construction project, providing an approximation of the cost of the project based on the quantities and costs of materials, labor, equipment, and other expenses required to complete it.
Building estimates are typically created before construction begins, and are used to determine the financial resources needed to complete the project, as well as to plan for the feasibility of the project.
The process of creating a building estimate involves analyzing project plans, specifications, and other relevant information to determine the number of materials and labor required, as well as the cost of equipment and other expenses.
It may also include contingency amounts to cover unexpected costs or changes to the project scope.
Accurate building estimates are critical to ensuring that projects are completed within budget and on time, and can help to prevent costly delays or unexpected expenses.
They are used by contractors, architects, and building owners to negotiate contracts with suppliers and subcontractors and compare bids from contractors.
Overall, building estimates play a vital role in the success of any construction project, and their accuracy and thoroughness are essential to ensuring that projects are completed safely, efficiently, and within budget.
Free Download Building Estimate Format In Excel
Building Estimation and Costing
Building estimation is determining the probable cost of buildings before the construction proceeds, in order to achieve success in the project. Building Estimation is also beneficial for passing tenders.
How do you estimate a building?
Excel Sheets, Online Valuation tools, FHFA House Price Index Calculator, hiring experts, etc are some of the Estimation Tools. However, if you want the do it manually, it is necessary to simplify the whole estimation method into small parts and begin from the foundation.
How do I calculate building quantities?
Building Quantities can be calculated by choosing one of the following methods,
1. Center Line Method
2. Crossing method
3. Out to out and in to in a method
4. Bay method
5. Service unit method
You May Also Like
- Building Estimation Excel Sheet – Full Quantity Calculation
- House Construction Cost Calculation in Excel Sheet
- Steel Quantity Calculation Excel Sheet
- Bill of Quantities Excel Sheet Free Download
- Cost of Construction of One Room | 10*10 room Construction Cost In India | Cost to Build 12×12 Room in India | 10×10 Room Estimate | One Room Construction Cost
- 12 Types of Estimate | Types of Estimation | Methods of Estimation In Civil Engineering
- Building Estimation Excel Sheet | Construction Cost Estimate Template Excel | Construction Material Calculator Excel | Building Estimate Format In Excel India
- Center Line Method of Building Estimation | Building Estimation By Centre Line Method | Center Line Plan and Estimation | Center Line Method of Estimation Excel Sheet
- Bar Bending Schedule | How To Prepare Bar Bending Schedule