Column design is an important part of designing any building. The column is the main supporting structural member of any building.
Let’s the design of the column with an example,
Example: Column Design as per IS 456 square short column subjected to axial services compressive load of 600 KN.
The concrete used is M -20 and Steel Fe – 500. Draw reinforcement details. Provide 1 % steel. Take the factor of safety 1.5.
RCC Column Design
- Fck = 20 N/mm2
- Fy = 500 N/mm2
- Ag = Gross area of Column
- Area of Steel in concrete(Asc) = (1/100) x Ag
- Area of Concrete(Ac) = Gross area of column(Ag) – Area of steel(Asc) Ac = Ag – 0.01 Ag
- Ac = 0.99 Ag
- Pu = Axial load on Column (600 x 1.5) = 900 KN
- Pu = 0.4 fck x Ac + 0.67 x Fy x Asc (IS: 456 – 2000 P – 71)
- 900 x 103 = 0.4 x 20 x ( 0.99 Ag) + 0.67 x 500 x 0.01 Ag
- Ag = 79858 mm2
RCC Column Size Calculation
Square Column, Size of Column = √(79858) = 282.59 mm
Provide square column size = 285 mm x 285 mm
Ag = Provided = (285 mm x 285 mm) = 81225 mm2
Asc = Area of steel in concrete
= 0.01 Ag = 0.01 x 81225 = 812.25 mm2
Provide 8 nos. – 12 mm Dia. steel bar having
Ast (Area of steel) = 905 mm2
RCC Column Design
Dia of lateral ties: (IS: 456 -2000 P – 49)
(i) 1/4 x Dia. of larger bar = 1/4 x 12 = 3 mm
(ii) 8 mm
Provide larger of 2 values (Provide 8 mm dia. lateral ties)
The pitch of Lateral Ties: (IS: 456 -2000 P – 49)
(i) Least lateral dimension = 285 mm
(ii) 16 x Dia of smaller bar = 16 x 12 = 192 mm
(ii) 300 mm
14. Provide smaller of 3 values (Provide Pitch = 190 mm)
Provide 8 mm Dia. lateral ties at 190 mm c/c
Read More: Load Calculation on Column, Beam, and Slab
Column Design Excel Sheet as per IS 456 Free Download
RCC Column Design Excel Sheet Click Below,
Column Design Excel Sheet – Download
Watch Video: Learn How To Use Column Design Excel Sheet
How to calculate RCC column size?
To calculate RCC Column size it is required to know the parameters such as factored load on the column, the grade of steel, and the grade of concrete. Put the known value of parameters in the factored load formula. Factored load formulas are useful for calculating the size of beams of various shapes with the min size requirement of 230 mm x 230 mm.
How do you design a column?
The column can be designed using Excel sheets when required frequently throughout the project. One needs only to put values in an excel sheet once the excel sheet is made available. Complete details of the Designing column are given in this article.
You May Also Like
- Load on Column, Beam & Slab | Column Design Calculations pdf | How to Calculate Column Size for Building | Slab Load Calculation
- Bill of Quantities Excel Sheet Free Download
- Footing Calculator | Concrete Footing Calculator | Square Footing Concrete Calculator | Trapezoidal Footing Concrete Calculator
- Building Estimation Excel Sheet Free Download
- 17 Types of Columns Used In Construction | What Are Buildings Columns | Types Column | Column In Construction | Types of Columns In Civil EngineeringHouse Construction Cost Calculation in Excel Sheet
- Concrete Mix Design Calculation as Per IS Code -10262: 2019