What Are Architectural Symbols?
Architects must have knowledge of different types of architectural symbols and signs that are generally used in drawing. All drawings prepared by the architect must be understandable by general people who are connected with construction projects.
For easy understanding and fast reading of architectural drawings, it is essential to utilize some architectural symbols. Therefore, the symbols and signs are designed in such a way that they represent the actual work, appearance, and material perfected.
Some of the architect’s drawing symbols do not have a true resemblance to the work and material which are actually used in construction drawings.
Read More: The Standard Room Size & Location In A House
Standard For Architectural Symbols
The American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and The American Institute of Architects (AlA) have specified some standard architectural symbols for designers.
But, there are lots of different construction materials, fixtures, and designs that are regularly developed and utilized in building construction, the architect uses their own created symbols in the drawing and describes the meaning of those symbols and their meaning chart at the side of the drawing.
Therefore, AIA and ANSI have to accept these new symbols with proper descriptions mentioned in the drawing.
In case any symbol is new because new types of materials are utilized in construction, it should be represented on a drawing with notation. These will provide ease for other people related to work.
As there are different trade people involved in construction work, each architectural drawing, and symbol used in it must be clean. So that no guesswork in the design, material ordering, and construction phases.
Rules for Drawing Symbols
- Always use a standard-size of symbol otherwise it misjudges the space around it.
- Use readymade templates to increase the speed and clarity of the symbols.
- Always be sure about the scale of symbols and drawings, they must be the same.
- Keep the location of a symbol on the drawing approximately correct.
- In case it is required to show the exact location, the dimensions must be added to the symbol on the drawing.
- The standard size of architectural symbols will vary with the drawing scale.
- The symbols drawn on the sheet must be easily readable by any person.
- The material should have a standard symbol.
Different Types of Architectural Symbols
There are many different types of architectural symbols, each with its own unique meanings and purposes as given below,
1. Architectural Door Symbol
Doors are one of the important parts of any architectural drawing. They should be replaced at entry and exit the point of any room.
The following symbols are used for resembling the doors on architectural drawings.
2. Architectural Symbol For Window
A window is an essential element in any house that provides easy access to natural light and ventilation in the house.
The following symbols are used for resembling the window on architectural drawings.
3. Architectural Symbols for Wall
The following are the symbols used for wall, line, boundary, fencing, etc,
4. Symbols for Kitchen
The following are symbols used by architects in a drawing for kitchen indication.
Architectural Symbols for Kitchen Cabinets,
5. Plumbing Fixtures Symbols and Approx. Size
The following are different types of plumbing fixtures symbols used in architectural drawings.
6. Architectural Symbols for Building Materials
The following are architectural symbols used for building material indication in a drawing.
7. Topographic Symbols
The following are some topographic symbols used in architectural drawings.
Free Download Architectural Symbols AUTOCAD Block
The following are the most used drawing symbols by an architect in drawing,
You May Also Like:
- Construction Drawings | Types of Construction Drawing Used In Building Construction
- What Is Building Layout | Layout of Building Plan | Foundation Marking and Building Layout Method
- What Is Standard Door Size | Standard Door Height | Standard Door Width | Standard Door Frame Size
- BHK Full Form | BHK Means | BHK Meaning | 1 BHK Means | 2 BHK Means | 3 BHK Means | 1 Rk Means | Full Form of BHK | What Does BHK Means
- The Standard Room Size & Location In A House | Standard Size of Bedroom | Standard Room Dimensions | Standard Room Sizes In a House