What Is Fineness of Cement
The fineness of cement is a measure of cement particle size and is denoted as terms of the specific surface area of cement. The Fineness Test of Cement is done by sieving cement sample through standard IS sieve. The weight cement particle whose size greater than 90 microns is determined and the percentage of retained cement particle are calculated. This is known as the Fineness of cement.
Different Test on Cement
The following tests are conducted on cement in the laboratory are as follows:
- Fineness Test of Cement
- Consistency Test of Cement
- Setting Time Test of Cement
- Soundness Test of Cement
- Heat of Hydration Test
- Specific Gravity Test of Cement
- Tensile Strength Test
- Chemical Composition Test
Why Fineness of Cement Test Required?
- We know that cement hydrates when cement is mixed with the water and a thin layer are formed around the particle.
- This thin layer grows bigger and makes cement particles separate. Because of this, the cement hydration process slows down.
- On other hand, cement smaller particles react much quicker than the larger particle.
- A cement particle with a diameter of 1µm will react entirely in 1 day, whereas the particle with a diameter of 10µm takes about 1 month.
- But, there is a side effect of having too much smaller particles in cement results in a quick setting, leaving no time for mixing, handling, and placing.
- Therefore to increase the setting time of cement, cement is must be manufactured in a different range of particle sizes. The fineness of the cement test measures this parameter of cement.
Fineness Test of Cement
To determine the fineness of cement by using 90 µm IS sieve as per IS: 4031 (Part 1) – 1996.
- 90µm IS Sieve,
- Weight Balance having capacity 10 mg to 100 g,
- Nylon or pure bristle brush
Fineness Test of Cement Procedure
- Collect a sample of cement and rub with your hands. The Fineness test sample should be free of lumps.
- Take 100 gm of cement sample and note its weight as W1.
- Drop 100 gm of cement in 90 µm sieve and close it with the lid.
- Now, shake the sieve with your hands by agitating the sieve in planetary and linear movements for 15 minutes.
- After that take weight the retained cement on the 90 µm sieve as W2. To calculate fineness of cement formula is given below,
Fineness = (W2/W1) * 100
- Then, calculate the percentage of Weight of cement-retained on Sieve.
- Repeat this procedure with three different samples of cement and average the values for accurate results.
Fineness of Cement Calculation
The following table shows fineness of cement value,
|Sr.No.||Weight of Cement |
|Weight Cement Sample |
Retained on 90µm Sieve
|Fineness of Cement|
|1||100 gm||4.65||4.65 %|
|2||100 gm||8.25||8.25 %|
|3||100 gm||7.95||7.95 %|
Result: The standard value of fineness of cement should have fineness less than 10 % or fineness of cement should not be more than 10% as per IS Recommendations.
Fineness Test of Cement FAQ:
Q.1 The size of sieve used to test fineness of cement is?
The size of sieve used to test fineness test of cement is 90 micron IS Sieve.
Q.2 What is the value of fineness of cement?
Generally, Cement used for construction should have value of fineness less than 10%.
Q.3 Why fineness of cement is important?
Cement smaller particle react much quicker than the larger particle. A cement particle with diameter 1µm will react entirely in 1 day, whereas the particle with diameter 10µm takes about 1 month. If fine cement particle are more in cement then it will set too quickly and that not feasible on site to place concrete properly.
You Might Also Like: