What Is Fineness Modulus of Sand?
The Fineness Modulus of Sand is an index number that indicates the mean size of the sand particles. It is calculated by performing the sieve analysis test with standard IS sieves. The fineness modulus of sand ranges from 2.2 to 3.2.
To find the fineness modulus of fine aggregate required IS sieve are sizes of 4.75mm. 2.36mm, 1.18mm.0.6mm, 0.3mm, and 0.15mm.
Fineness Modulus of Sand Test
IS Code for Fineness Modulus of fine aggregate : IS : 383 -1970
- Sieves as per IS standards
- Mechanical sieve shaker(optional)
- Dry oven
- Digital weight scale
Sample preparation for fineness modulus of sand is given as under
Take a sample of sand in a pan and placed it in the oven at a temperature of approximate 100-110°C.
After drying, take the sample out from oven and note down its weight using digital weighing scale.
Sieve Analysis of Fine Aggregate
Following is the test procedure for fineness modulus of sand test,
1) Take the sieves and arrange them in descending order with the largest sieve on top.
2) If a mechanical shaker is using for shaking, then put the sieve set in position on the mechanical shaker and pour the sample in the top sieve & then close it with the sieve plate.
3) Then switch on the machine and shaking of sieves should be done at least for 5 minutes.
4) If the shaking is done manually (by the hands) then pour the sample in a top sieve and close it then hold the top two sieves and shake it inwards and outwards, vertically and horizontally.
5) After some time shake 3 and 4 and finally last sieves simultaneously.
6) After sieving, record the sample weights retained on each sieve. Then find the cumulative weight retained.
7) Finally, determine the cumulative percentage retained on each sieve.
8) Add the all cumulative percentage values and divide with 100 then we will get the value of fineness modulus.
Calculation of F.M. of Sand
Let us assume the dry weight of sample = 1000gm
After sieve analysis, the values that appeared are tabulated below.
|Sieve size||Weight retained(g)||Cumulative weight retained (g)||Cumulative percentage |
Hence, Fineness modulus of Sand = (Cumulative % retained) / 100
= (275 / 100)
Range of Fineness of Modulus
Following table indicate sand fineness modulus value ranges from 2.6 to 3.2.
|Types of Sand||Fineness Modulus (F. M) Value|
|Fine Sand||2.6 – 2.6|
|Medium Sand||2.6 -2.9|
|Coarse Sand||2.9 -3.2|
Fineness modulus with respect to various zones of sand according to IS 383-1970 are given in table below.
Free Download Sieve Analysis Excel Sheet:
Watch Video: Fineness Modulus of Sand
You May Also Like
- Fineness Modulus of Sand Test Excel Sheet
- Silt Content Test of Sand – Procedure & Result
- Sand Moisture Content Test – Procedure and Result
- Bulking of Sand Test – Procedure & Result
- Coarse Aggregate Test