Foundation drainage is defined as a drain that is placed or installed at the foundation of any type of structure to prevent water from around it.
Foundation drains are laid simultaneously with the footing during construction phase of the building foundation.
Also, foundation drains are installed with the help of trenchless technology with minimum changes of surface topography.
The main aim of providing a foundation drain is to collect the water and drains groundwater from around the foundation of the building to keep it from standing of water or pooling there.
Drains consist of a perforated pipe that is installed around the footing and support the wall of the foundation.
Also, the foundation wall captures drains it either catch basin or soak pit at some distance from the structure.
Importance of Foundation Drainage
- It prevents the accumulation of water on the construction site.
- It is minimize the chance of settlement.
- It reduces the erosion of soil from take a place.
- It prevents the termite attack.
Types of Foundation Drainage
The following types of foundation drainage are used;
- French Drain
- Footing Drainage
- Grading Drainage
- Sum pit and pumps
The French drain is name come from its inventor Henry French. In this system perforated drain pipe uses as foundation drainage which is placed under the foundation, also the French drain is also known as perimeter drain and this method is popularized in the 1800s.
The Slope of the perforated pipe is kept away from the structure. So that foundation protects against the ill effect of dampness and pooling of water. Backfilling of the foundation is done with the use of porous material, such as gravel, fine sand, etc.
Footing drainage is useful in residential buildings and commercial buildings.
Grading Drainage is the easiest and simple system of drainage. In this system sufficient amount of gradient is provided away from the building or structure so that water is easily passed out and the joining the stormwater drain.
Sump Pits and Pumps
A sump pit is a hole or drains kind arrangement in the basement, foundation, and crawlspace of a house and commercial building.
When water is entered into the sump pit at that time triggers a sensor that activates the pump, and turns it on and water moves away from the building through perforated pipes.
The pump is running through electricity or battery power. Sump pump drainage system is a highly effective drainage system. A drainpipe is placed around the foundation wall.
Advantages of Foundation Drainage
- Foundation drainage is prevents water pooling or standing near the foundation.
- It reduced the chance of settlement.
- It is help in reducing erosion of soil.
- Proper foundation drainage is helpful to remove deleterious organisms and toxic from the stagnant water.
- Foundation drainage can reduce the effect of dampness.
Disadvantages of Foundation Drainage
- Construction Cost of foundation drainage is high.
- It required skilled labors.
- Maintenance charge of foundation drains is also high.
- Regular Maintenance is required in case of perforated pipe. Because it is clogged due to accumulation of silt inside the pipe.
- Foundation drainage is contaminating the water bodies such as lake, river, stream, etc.
You May Also Like
- What Is Canal Irrigation| 20 Types of Irrigation Canal | Advantages of Canal Irrigation
- What Is Dewatering | 10 Dewatering Methods In Construction | Dewatering Techniques | Dewatering System
- Floating Slab | Float Slab Foundation | Floating Concrete Slabs
- What Is Foundation Repair | 8 Types of House Foundation Repair Methods | How to Fix Foundation
- What Is the Strongest Foundation For a House | What Is the Best Foundation for a House | Best House Foundation
- Types of Foundation | What Is Foundation | Types of Footings | Types of House Foundation | Foundation Types