What Is Gabion Wall?
A Gabion Wall is a type of retaining wall which is constructed by stacked stone filled with gabions fixed together with wire. Gabion retaining walls are generally battered (angled back towards the slope), or stepped back with the ground the slope, rather than stacked vertically.
The Gabion Word comes from an Old Italian word “Gabion” that word means Big Cage. A gabion wall is a type of gabion structure. Around 7000 years ago, the gabion-style structure was used for protecting the bank of the river Nile.
Then in Middle Ages, gabions structured were used as a military fort and saw earlier history at that time civil engineers have mostly used for stabilization work such as a stabilization of banks, Stabilization of coasts, Stabilization of highway and controlling erosion.
Gabion retaining walls are constructed for the landscape and it is used for thousands of years as a gravity-type retaining wall and makes an attractive structure, efficient and cheap wall system.
Gabion Wall Construction
Gabion Walls are mainly constructed for the soil stabilization purpose behind the wall and sometimes it is executed as a cover wall. Gabion walls are constructed according to the height of the wall and it’s arranged with gabion baskets which are joint or placed in one or more rows.
These gabion basket walls have a cage–like shape and that can be closed on all sides and basket is made from galvanized hexagonal meshes and the gabion is made from broken stones means these broken stones are filled inside the basket. The Gabion Retaining Wall structures are made by a group of gabion baskets that also protect against erosion.
Generally, the dimension of gabion baskets is 2x1x1 m and galvanized mesh dimension has an 8×10 cm and its mesh has a hexagonal shape with eye size. Then all baskets are placed and attached with the galvanized mesh wire for preventing the deformation underweight of upper gabion walls or rows.
Broken stones are used as a filler material inside the basket and placed with the help of a machine and hand. Then after completely filling that basket closed and attached with galvanized steel ring.
The first layer of the gabion basket retaining wall is placed above the foundation and that layer is made up of concrete or stone as per the requirement of the project. The second layer of the wall is placed on a way that is moved from the outer edge toward the backside a certain distance.
After finishing the basket work, the remaining space behind the basket is filled up with suitable material up to the height of the upper or second layer of the gabion wall. On the Backside of the gabion wall geotextile is placed fine particle of stone material.
Application of Gabion Wall
- Gabion Wall is used for retaining walls.
- The gabion retaining wall is used for canal twining and River.
- Gabion basket wall is protecting the roadway and bridge.
- It is used for hydraulic structure, Culverts, and Dam.
- It is used for coastal embankment works.
- Gabion basket wall is protecting the rockfall and soil erosion protection.
- It is used for cladding of walls and buildings.
- Gabion retaining wall is used for walls, noise, and environmental barriers.
Benefits of Gabion Walls
For Enhancing Aesthetic Look: Gabion retaining walls are made from natural materials and it fits with the environment also give a natural look.
Compatibility with the Surrounding Environment: The Material of Gabion basket walls is easy to acquisition near the site so that reduce the transportation cost.
Permeability of water: Gabion retaining walls is having good permeability so that they do not damage the passing water.
basket retaining walls are strengthening the exit structure.
These walls are more longevity: Gabion basket retaining wall is made from stones or broken stones so that it is more stability, durability and longevity in nature.
Advantages Of Gabion Wall
- Gabion reatining wall is more durable as compare to any other soil stabilize structure.
- Gabion wall is more flexible. So that easy to change the height and width of wall.
- Gabion basket wall is more permeable.
- A viability of material is easy.
- Construction cost of gabion basket wall is high but it is cost effective.
- It is ecologically sound.
- Strength of gabion wall is high.
Disadvantages OF Gabion Wall
- The habitat value of gabion wall is low.
- Installation process of wall is very difficult.
- In Gabion wire basket may be subjected to wear and tear due to abrasion of wire.
- Difficult to install required tools and equipments.
What is a Gabion Wall?
These gabion baskets have a cage–like shape and that can be closed on all sides and basket is made from galvanized hexagonal meshes and the gabion is made from broken stones means these broken stones are filled inside the basket. Retaining structures are made by a group of gabion baskets that also protect against erosion.
What are the application of Gabion Wall?
What are the Disadvantages of Gabion Wall?
You May Also Like
- 10 Types of Retaining Wall | What Is a Retaining Wall | Gravity Retaining Wall | Retaining Wall Design
- What Are Parapet Wall | 8 Types of Parapet Wall | Parapet Wall Cost | Parapet Wall Design In Brick Work
- What Is CMU Wall | CMU Block | CMU Wall Construction | CMU Block Cost | CMU Block Size | Cinder Block