A Hopper Window was first built in the 1890s, at that time it remain popular because this window is properly fitted in a small or compact area. The Hopper window is a small size window that can be opened downward or inward and either it opens at 90 degrees or 45 degrees.
Generally, the hopper-style window is used for the basement, small bedroom, and Bathroom. This hopper window is placed on the top part of the wall almost near the ceiling for good ventilation.
What Is Hopper Window?
Hopper windows are a popular and versatile choice for homeowners seeking functionality and style in their windows. These unique windows are hinged at the bottom and open inward from the top, creating a unique ventilation option.
In this article, we will explore the features, benefits, and installation considerations of hopper windows. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your home’s windows or simply curious about different window types, this guide will provide you with valuable insights into the world of hopper windows.
Read More: 23 Types of Windows | Different Types of Windows | Types of Windows
Material for Hopper Style Windows
Different types of framing materials are available in the market so that easy to match with the remaining interior of your house. Also, the material and finishing items are directly affecting the overall cost of the hopper window.
Commonly used framing materials are enlisted below,
- Aluminum Frame Hopper Window.
- PVC Frame Hopper Window.
- Glass Window Hopper.
- Wood Window Hopper
- Composite Material Window
Aluminum Hopper Window
- An Aluminum type window required low maintenance and it is a sturdy material.
- But it is more costly as compared to PVC Hooper Windows, and Wood Hooper Windows.
Vinyl Hopper Window
- This material is low in cost and low in maintenance. Also, it is available in various colors.
- It has less durability as compared to other windows so increasing the durability with the use of a metal frame.
Fiberglass Window Hopper
- Fiberglass Window is more expensive as compared to other windows but it is sturdy.
- It is enough to withstand extreme weather conditions.
Wood Window Hopper
- Wood Frame can be easily damaging if it is not regularly repainted. Because the hopper window is generally placed in a damp area like the bathroom.
- So neglecting this problem you can make gladded window frame with treated Aluminum.
Composite Hopper windows
- This type of window is made with two or more materials; it is more durable and weather-resistant.
- It is made from aluminum, wood veneer, and fiberglass with metal.
Hardware item For Hopper Window
- This includes the handles, locks, and cranks. These all things can range from plastic to brass, and bronze.
- For safety purposes, you can use a metal grill and insect screen.
What Is Hopper Window Sizes?
A Hopper-style window is more suitable for a small opening and is available in square and rectangular shapes.
Hopper Windows come in verities of sizes and designs, but the standard hopper window size is 12″-24″ high and 30″-36″ long.
Also, the hopper-style windows are available in large sizes such as 50” X 30” and they can provide good ventilation and are easy to customize.
How to Install Hopper Windows?
- Firstly you should ensure the width and height of your opening space.
- Then purchase a window that is about ½” smaller on all sides for placing the space of your opening.
- If the window is used in the basement concrete wall, then you should be framed sill inside the concrete.
- A Wrap the opening of the frame with 8” strips of roofing felt that extends to the exterior face, this felt should be fastened with the staples.
- Place the bead of caulk all around the outer surface of the framing; so that the nailing flange should be covering it.
- For holding, purposes used a cedar shim in the frame opening and screw an upper portion of the window.
- Use a plum bob for leveling work and adjusting the window according to it
- A Screw or nails are the remaining in 3 corners of the window.
- Make sure the windows are easily open and closed properly and lock without a lot of effort.
- The margin should be the same, and then finish securing the window and waterproofing the exterior flange with the use of a rubber membrane.
Advantages of A Hopper Window
The advantage of hopper windows are given below,
Give Great Ventilation
- A Hopper-style window can be open fully due to having a hinge. So this allows for maximum ventilation, especially in a cramped space.
Easy to Open And Close
- Hopper-style windows are easy to open with the help of crank handles.
High In Security
- Window Hoppers generally open inward direction and provide a little opening for unauthorized entry.
- These give proper ventilation and humid control in damp areas like a basement and bathroom.
- If you want to reduce the effect or stain of mold or mildew buildup, then you can install the hopper-style window.
- These windows are easy to install in small or compact areas of the washroom, basement, and bedroom.
Disadvantages of Hopper Window
- This window is in an open inward direction from the topside so that reason difficult to place curtains and for limited privacy, tinting can be used.
Moisture and water
- While they seal tightly open hopper-style windows will allow water in when it is raining.
Required Constant Maintenance
- It is more prone to damage due to its frame.
Unsuitable for Extreme weather
- In hopper-style windows, the outer side portion is so wide open that can be hard to keep out the snow and rain.
Gives Little Security
- They cannot provide high security, easy to break the window and enter the house.
Read More: What Are Bay Window | Types of Bay Windows | Modern Bay Windows | Bay Window Styles
What is a hopper window?
A hopper window is a type of window that is hinged at the bottom and opens inward from the top. It tilts inward, allowing for ventilation while maintaining privacy and security.
Where are hopper windows commonly used?
Hopper windows are commonly used in basements, bathrooms, and small spaces where maximizing airflow and natural light is desired.
How do hopper windows differ from other window types?
Unlike traditional windows that slide or open outward, hopper windows open inward, making them ideal for spaces with limited exterior clearance or for locations where privacy is a concern.
What are the benefits of installing hopper windows?
Hopper windows provide excellent insulation, energy efficiency, and enhanced security due to their inward-opening design. They also offer improved ventilation control and protection against the elements.
You May Also Like:
- Eyebrow Window | Function, Installation, Location, and Size
- 23 Types of Windows | Different Types of Windows | Types of Windows pdf
- What Are Bay Window | Types of Bay Windows | Modern Bay Windows | Bay Window Styles
- Window Height From Floor | Standard Height of Window From Floor Level | Height of Window From Floor
- What Is A Sash Window | 3 Best Types of Sash Window | Pros of Sash Windows
- 13 Types of Door Hinges | Types of Hinges Used For Door | Different Types Of Door Hinges | What Is A Butt Hinge
- What Is Standard Door Size | Standard Door Height | Standard Door Width | Standard Door Frame Size